Thursday 30 October 2008

Où est la piscine?

I thought it might be good to let you know how this first experience is going for me. I’m not going to type much because my patience with the French keyboard is already wearing thin. It’s very strange being here, in a good way. I’m glad to be here with all these other people who can help me try and make sense of what’s going on and people who can tell me what’s being said; my GCSE French is only getting me so far. There are only so many times you can have a conversation asking directions to the swimming pool without it becoming old or just plain rude. It doesn’t seem like I’m here and I don’t know if it ever will hit me but I’m trying to learn as much as possible and make sure I can do some good work back in the UK. When I asked one of the translators what message she would like me to tell people back in the UK she said, “tell them everything you have seen, and what’s in your heart”, in just over a week I’ll be trying to do that. I feel a connection to this place already and the people, there’s so much to tell to people and it’s got nothing to do with how to find the closest swimming pool.

3 comments:

tag2 said...

Sounds an incredible experience. I'm sure you will all come back with so much to think about and put into your jobs back in the UK! I've the upmost respect for you all! x

Alex Jones said...

You write well Hannah - we'll have to use that when you get back!

Great to hear how you're getting on. Don't get too muddy!

psyconym said...

Good to hear from you. I agree you do write well.

Good Luck!

Lynda
xxx